Ventures Scholar Forums

Forums intended to discuss science and math education and all topics related.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-19 21:24:37

Med School Scholarships

What Med school scholarships are available?  I am completing my undergrad portion of a 8 yr undergrad/MD program and am looking for merit based scholarships.  Thanks

#2 2010-03-01 18:38:40

abaez
Administrator

Re: Med School Scholarships

Hi Braxtonmcqueen,

There are plenty of merit-based scholarships available for students pursuing a medical career.  I strongly recommend that you apply for membership with medical associations so that you may receive up-to-date notices of scholarships, internships, grants, etc. I will do my best to help in the scholarship search, however, many opportunities wont make my list and I would not want you to pass on any of them.  Associations are essential when it comes to educating yourself about the medical career and receiving immediate answers to your questions.  Moreover, you can network with others in the medical field, and most importantly be a step ahead in the game.

First off, please check for any scholarships offered at your school and apply to those you are eligible.  Be greedy and apply to as many scholarships as possible beginning with those within reach.  Just recently I received a similar request from a Ventures Scholar and little did they know that Duke University School of Medicine provided their students with over 6 merit-based scholarships.  Honestly, the only reason I say be greedy is because getting a scholarship award is difficult and in short supply, especially with the current economy.  So apply to your hearts content, but apply early!

Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)

Ventures Scholars basically have the medical track encyclopedia at their fingertips with AAMC's VSP Member Profile.  Just send inquiry form with any questions related to the medical track.  In this case, forward your question above and see what they say. 

AAMC’s Tomorrow’s Doctors
AAMC provides a vast amount of resources for students interested in pursuing a medical career.  As we all know, funding an education is expensive, however, scholarships are not the only options.  It is important for students to also educate themselves about finances and budgeting their money.  Another avenue to finance your education is by participating in loan forgiveness programs.  Go to the Scholarships, Awards, and Financial Aid page consists of opportunities, such as:

2010 Herbert W. Nickens Medical Student Scholarships - Due May 3, 2010
Five scholarships given to outstanding students entering their third year of medical school.  Each recipient receives a $5,000 scholarship in November of the year the scholarships are awarded. A medical school may nominate one student per year for this award. Students enrolled in combined degree programs (such as M.D./Ph.D.) are eligible when they are entering their third year of medical school.

Loan Repayment/Forgiveness and Scholarship Programs
State and federal repayment programs, and loan and scholarship programs available to allopathic medicine and other health professions students.

For more resources, visit Considering a Career in Medicine, Applying to Medical School, and Financing Your Medical Education

American Medical Association (AMA)

Minority Scholars Award - Due April 15th
Approximately twelve Minority Scholars Awards are awarded annually, each in the amount of a $10,000 scholarship. Nominees must be a current first or second-year student and a permanent resident or citizen of the U.S.  Each medical school is invited to submit up to two nominees. Contact your medical school if you are interested in being nominated.

United Negro College Fund, Inc. (UNCF)
UNCF features a great search engine of scholarships throughout the US made available to High School, Undergraduate & Graduate Students. Below, you will find two lists that were generated for students pursuing a career in medicine.
- Scholarship List 1

- Scholarship List 2

Other Scholarships

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
This site features a list of Scholarships and Loan Repayment programs.  See the list on the menu on the right.

National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Scholarship Program
NHSC scholarships provide payments of tuition and fees; payment toward books, supplies and equipment and a 12 month stipend. Deadline for application is late March for the upcoming academic year.

Indian Health Service Scholarship Program
This scholarship is similar to NHSC described above except that service commitment is fulfilled at an Indian Health Service site.  Preference for medical and physical therapy graduates. New applicants must submit an application by March 28 and continuing students must apply by Feb. 28.

Primary Care Loan (PCL) - need-based
Recipients must agree to enter and complete a residency training program in primary health care no later than four years after the date on which the student graduates from the school and must practice in such care through the date on which the loan is repaid in full.

Mayo Clinic Diversity Scholarship (MCDS)
$1000 scholarship for clerkships.

The Beinecke Scholarship Program

Carnegie Endowment Junior Fellows Program

Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program

Ambucs [Physical Therapy] Scholarship-Deadline of application: April 15

Chinese American Medical Society Scholarship (CAM)-Deadline of application: April 30

Potomac Hospital Scholarships for Medical Students (PHS)

Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowships For New Americans (PDS)

Pre-Doctoral Scholarship Grants Abstract

Tip:  For better listing of scholarships search within your home state, then your school state.  Be sure to check with your local state dept, hospitals, and medical organizations near you.

Amy
big_smile

Board footer