Ventures Scholar Forums

Forums intended to discuss science and math education and all topics related.

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-17 13:05:07

cindy2good

Interested in PreMed/science at Boston University?

Hi my name is Cindy Martinez, I am currently a sophomore at Boston University at the College of Arts and Sciences.  My major is currently Biology with a specialization in Neuroscience and a minor in Psychology.  Before attending BU I had attended a public high school in Union City, NJ.  I took a pretty tough courseload every year.  I always took honors courses and AP courses as they were offered.  I beleive that by taking courses that challenge you that you make yourself a more competitive candidate for a school that is selective.  I also participated in clubs and sports which I suppose you can say makes a well rounded students which I think will help you once you do get to college. 
So, moving on to what Boston univeristy is like.  First of all the university is comprised of different colleges including the one that I am currently enrolled in.  There is the School of fine arts, school of communications, Sargent college of health and rehabilitation, and others.  They all offer different majors according to the college of your choice. 
The campus is located down the main street of Commonwealth Ave, all of which can be walked.  Dorms are available everywhere on campus depending on what your preference is.  Overall it gives the feeling of being in a city but not an overwhelming feeling. 
In terms of the field that i am interested in.  I am a science major and I am premed.  This in it self is not easy however they are integrated because the requirements for medical school coincide with the requirements for my major.  This has made it a bit easier, timewise, for me to not fall behind in terms of taking the necessary classes to complete my major.  A strong background in chemistry and biology is very much needed if you intend to do well and not struggle in classes that will be demanding such as the sciences.  Even if you don't have a strong background it is still possible to do well it will just demand more time and effort from you.  Overall i would say that you are expected to work hard and really earn your grades because the professors know that the majority of people in their classes are aspiring to one day become the professionals of this world. 
Outside the classroom there is an endless array of activities to partcipate in.  There is everything from concerts to sporting events to gallery exhibits everyday of the week.  The flexibility of being able to attend an Art show one night and hockey game the next is something that is very exciting especially when its a walk away. 

If you have any questions for me feel free to ask. 

Hope to hear some interesting things

Last edited by cindy2good (2006-10-17 13:05:31)

#2 2006-10-24 00:21:21

SMCoronado9s7

Re: Interested in PreMed/science at Boston University?

I've been receiving some information in the mail about Boston University. It seems like a great place to go to, yet I do have a problem with what they've been sending.  It's addressed to a "Ms.Sergio Coronado." I don't know if you're the person to talk to about this but how can I get them to stop sending it to Ms.Sergio and starting sending it to Sergio.  But I was also wondering about the biology program, is it very time consuming and difficult?

#3 2006-10-24 08:23:21

cindy2good

In terms of the address problem i would advise you to contact the admissions office you might be able to find that number on one of the brochures that has been sent to you.  There are 4 biology programs here at BU.  There is the regular biology, marine science, environmental/ecology, and neuroscience. The latter three are all specializations in biology, which usually means that you take more specialized classes in that specific field as opposed to just broad topics as a regular biology major would.  I think that as with any science field you do have to put in the time to do well.  I would say about two hours everyday is pretty much dedicated to me reading for each science class i take.  Which i know seems like alot but professors have recommended that 15 hours a week of studying a specifci science course is typical.  In terms of difficulty, it might be difficult to understand if you don't really have a background in science or just don't do teh reading.  Overall though the biology program is going to take up a good amount of time in your life in college (you will still have a life so don't worry about that) and can be difficult but if you really enjoy the subject and never really fall behind in classes you'll do fine.

#4 2006-11-03 23:53:41

niczak55

I'm not interested in Boston University, but I am interested in neuroscience and pre-med. I was wondering if you knew what exactly can someone with a degree in neuroscience do in med school and as a career afterwards?

#5 2006-11-04 15:11:56

cindy2good

I beleive that once you are in medical school you can choose whatever you want to specialize in and you practice in that specific field.  However if you were interested in research as well, which I am, when you apply to medical schools they have the options of MD and PhD programs.  That way you practice the clinical aspect and the research aspect.  So if you were interested in neuro there are a lot of research options that are available.

#6 2006-11-20 13:29:48

funkyfresh325

I L0VE B0ST0N UNIVERSITY AND THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY DREAM SCH00L T0 PERSUE A CAREER IN PHYSICAL THERAPY/ATHLETIC TRAINING. BUT THE HARDEST PART IS I LIVE ALL THE WAY IN CALIF0RNIA AND HAVE NEVER BEEN T0 B0ST0N BEF0RE. CALIF0RNIA IS PRETTY DIVERSE WHICH IS S0METHING REALLY IMP0RNANT T0 ME. IS THERE A L0T 0F DIVERSITY IN B0ST0N LET AL0NE AT THE UNIVERSITY?

#7 2007-11-01 18:27:36

suarez102007

I am highly interested in Boston i love the city and the school!

i wanted to know how city life and classes are? also what is the required ACT/SAT scores

#8 2007-12-03 23:17:46

i am interested in Boston U and the medical programs. What does Boston U offer for those fields?

#9 2008-12-01 18:21:35

Wagnac

Hi Cindy, how are you? I've always been interested in Boston University. I took a tour and had an amazing lunch on the campus and fell in love with BU. I'm thinking about applying but my dilemma was that I didn't do too well on the SAT's, I got a 1560 but I would like to know if the institution looks at those who have not done well on the SAT's & would it be worth my while to write an additional essay explaining my low score on the SAT when I apply. Please let me know as soon as possible. I also wanted to know about the premedical-studies there, I was thinking about applying to the college of general studies.  As well as any opportunities in the medical area. Thanks!

Board footer