Ventures Scholar Forums

Forums intended to discuss science and math education and all topics related.

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-19 10:48:37

mickeychelle

Greetings From Michelle Sanders 09

Hey everyone. My name is Michelle Sanders, and I am currently a Sophomore at Amherst College. I am originally from Houston, Texas, where I attended Harmony Science Academy. Now let's see..Amherst College is one of the top ranked liberal arts colleges in the nation. We have an open curriculum, which means that you are not required to take any classes that you do not wish to take. Well, maybe I should better clarify that - You don't have tot ake any classes that you do not wish to take, provided that the undesired class is not part of your chosen major requirements, and that you are enrolled in 4 classes per semester. I  am a Biology Premedical Studies major. As for future goals, I am not exactly sure about which path I would like to take. I am preparing myself to become a pediatrician, which I chose simply because most of my experiences are with children. In fact, I am currently one of the student coordinators for a tutoring organization on campus as well as a Bonner Leader. Well, that's about all I can think to say right now..Hope you enjoyed.

#2 2006-10-24 16:32:27

spchua18

Re: Greetings From Michelle Sanders 09

Hello Ms. Sanders, I have always been interested with Amherst and its open curriculum.  As a matter of fact I just came back from the Diversity Open House (DIVOH) yesterday.  After seeing how much altruism and how tight-knit the community between the students and faculty (after that weekend), I am just plainly awestruck.  After hearing from Alum and faculty panels, I have realized that it does not really matter what one majors provided that one can make best use of critical and analytical skills in the long run.  Especially with the liberty to take any classes at Amherst, I've realized it's not so much a preparation for the "perfect" career but rather an eclectic exposure to so many faculties in life.  Hope to hear from you in future posts.

#3 2006-10-24 18:40:17

mickeychelle

Just this past weekend? wow, I am sorry that I missed you. i was actually away at a conference in New Jersey. How did you like it here?

#4 2006-11-24 07:33:01

OEMD

Hi, Michelle. My name is Osarieme and I the first DIVOH for 2006 from SEpt 30 to Oct 2. I really loved your school. The size is just ok for me and the intimate relationships students share with their Amherst staff is amazing. I am definitely in the process of applying to your school. But I have a problem.

I applied for the Quest Bridge scholar program but I didn't get the scholarship. They soon emailed me telling me that they forwarded my application to your school. I don't know if the application is complete or not and I was wondering if you knew how to direct me from here. I know that I have to do the Amherst supplement but I am not sure if your school received the first part of the application yet. If you have any suggestions I would grealty appreciate.

BTW, do you have Dean Lee's direct number so I can talk to her about my whole application dilemma. Thanks again for your time, talk to you soon

#5 2007-06-12 00:39:23

LilRon1028

Hi, I'm in love with Amherst!  I was wondering if you were able to tell me more about the social life there.

#6 2007-10-22 21:47:36

CP2007

I myself am very interested in Amherst. Can any one tell me the competition for admission to this school or give me an idea of it?

#7 2008-12-01 18:16:36

Wagnac

Hi Michelle, I've always been interested in Amherst College, but was sadly rejected for the diversity open house program. I didn't do too well on the SAT's, I got a 1560 but I would like to know if the institution looks at those who have not done well on the SAT's & would it be worth it to write an additional essay explaining my low score on the SAT when I apply. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!

Board footer