Ventures Scholar Forums

Forums intended to discuss science and math education and all topics related.

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-20 09:29:56

Auron

Dartmouth College Undergraduate Venture Scholar

Hi Everyone,
My name is Samuel Kohn, and I’m a sophomore at Dartmouth College, in Hanover, NH.  I’m originally from rural Montana (Dunmore if anyone is curious), and I attended high school at Billings Central Catholic High School, in Billings, MT.  I’m also member of the Crow Tribe from the same area in Montana.  I’m currently dual majoring in computer science and Native American Studies here at Dartmouth.
You all are here because you’re considering coming to (I would assume) Dartmouth for your undergraduate education.  Let me tell you that Dartmouth is a great place to be, and one of the best decisions you could ever make. 
Making a decision about where to attend college can be difficult. One of the best things about being a member of the Dartmouth community means that you are welcome and encouraged to express your identity however you choose.  We have 182 Native American students enrolled who represent over 44 tribes.  Other minorities are well represented as well.  47% of our student body is made up of students of color.  Not only that, but every student here is anxious to learn about everyone else.  We each come with our own experiences and therefore are able to create our own Dartmouth experience.
I've been involved in Native Americans at Dartmouth (or NAD, as we affectionately refer to ourselves as), Occom Pond Singers  (a contemporary and traditional drum group), Dartmouth's chapter of American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES), Dartmouth Polocrosse,  and work as a Humane Society volunteer.  Some of my friends in the Native community are involved in Student Assembly, Ultimate Frisbee, Pow-Wow Committee, Varsity Crew, Boxing Club, A Capella, hip hop dance, Big Brothers Big Sisters and more.  As you can see, there is no expectation that Native students who come to Dartmouth are the same.  To quote Dr. Seuss (a Dartmouth alumni), "There is nobody who is Youer than You."  Dartmouth is all about giving you the tools and the opportunities to make it your own.  If you become a member of our community, you'll craft your own intellectual, social and cultural Dartmouth experience.
I hope this gives you a little bit of an introduction to Dartmouth(even though as I read over it it sounds dangerously like an admissions letter which would be sent out).  However, I’d be more than happy to answer any questions which you have about Dartmouth, or about the college selection process in general.
Happy Searching!

#2 2006-11-06 18:45:23

Auron

Re: Dartmouth College Undergraduate Venture Scholar

Hi Kristyn...sorry for the LONG delay in getting back to you.
I had a midterm week, and then got ill, and then some family stuff happened all at once, so again, I apologize for the delay.
To answer your questions:
1) Greek life is the dominant social scene on campus.  It's as simple as that.  Personally, I'm not in a fraternity, and I still find plenty of stuff to do.  There are lots of people who don't participate in Greek life, and finding those people to hang out with is pretty easy.  People do all kinds of stuff here too, whether it's heading down to the Bowling alley, or checking out a movie or play at the Hopkins center, there's always something other than the frats to do on campus.  However, be aware that the "Monday morning stories" all revolve around what happened at Fraternities over the weekend.  They tend to dominate a large majority of people's free time on the weekends, simply because we're so far removed from city life.

2)Worried about moving into a small city?  I'll level with you, that Hanover is a small, and by small, I mean really small, place.  The population of the town is somewhere around 8,000 people, and Dartmouth is 5,000 itself.  However, this is both a great thing and a negative thing for the college.  The small setting really fosters a great sense of community and involvement on campus at Dartmouth.  It's impossible to walk around campus without getting smile from someone you know(and I know that sounds really cliché, but its true), and we have great relationships with the surrounding community.  People get invited to locals' houses for dinner pretty often.  On the other side of the coin, it is tough to really get out in Hanover.  The closest Wal-Mart is 20 minutes away (in a whole other town....West Lebanon, NH) and the closest large shopping mall is more than an hour away in Manchester, NH. (I understand that there is closer, smaller shopping areas in Burlington, VT and Concord, NH, but in my experience if people are making the trip, they'll usually go to Manch for the size and no sales tax at the large center). 

3) I'm so glad you asked a question like this, as it's one of the best things about Dartmouth, and something which I can promise you that no other large university can offer.  Because we're just a college, and not a university, you aren't competing with graduate students for great research opportunities, or internship opportunities.  Combine this with the fact that Dartmouth is home to both the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (ranked consistently in the top 20 in the nation for primary care and as a medical school) and the Dartmouth Medical School, and you have a plethora of opportunities.  During my freshmen year, two people on my floor were observing surgeries.  Another was shadowing a clincial psychologist during his work days.  If you were to compare this with another "Crimson" presitigious insitution, located South of us in Cambridge, MA; you would find that to get slots like that in their Medical School, you would have to be a second year med student, maybe a very lucky first year.  The jist of what I'm trying to get across here, is that any opportunity you want to make happen here,  you can definitely do it, whatever your interest in medicine may be.  If you want to work with a doctor, on patients, I promise you'll be able to find them at one of the two medical schools.  If you want to do medical research, those opportunities exist in such an abundance, that its fairly common to find people working two research jobs, with a couple more on the backburner because there are so many great ones to be involved in, and it's so tough to pick.

4)Regarding the outdoorsy-ness of Dartmouth; being so out in the boonies, people here enjoy being outdoors, but not necessarily being outdoorsy.  So the short answer to your question is no, you don't have to love being outdoors 24/7, but you should be comfortable having a snowball fight, or going sledding, or just going for a walk to crunch through some leaves in the fall.  People also like to swim in the river in the summertime.

5)Our dining food is not bad, but definitely not amazing either.  I think that any place you are forced to eat cafeteria food for years on end, will grow old after a while, but when you first arrive, you're bowled over with all of the options.  Our dining services are consistently ranked pretty high overall, and for whatever it's worth, the food is always yummy.  Just after a year and a half here, one wishes that they might have a few more options, you know?

So I hope those answer your questions, and sorry again for the delay.  Feel free to IM me "paperbag989" on AIM(without the quotes), and we can talk more.
Best,
Sam

#3 2007-05-10 19:47:34

UOOlagoke3nf

Hey my name is Uthman. I just want to say hello to my people at Dartmouth!!! I will proudly be attending Dartmouth next year as an '11! I went to Dimensions and had a blast. Dartmouth was tied for my number 1 spot with Duke but Dimensions sealed the deal. I truly think Dartmouth provides the best overall undergraduate life and that there is no better school for me! Can't wait to see you all next year! ~~~HAIL THE BIG GREEEN~~~

#4 2008-06-06 10:18:17

VSstudent

Hi! Has anyone heard of or attended the Destination Dartmouth program? I have submitted my application, but I am not sure how they plan to inform me as to whether or not I have been accepted.

Board footer