Ventures Scholar Forums

Forums intended to discuss science and math education and all topics related.

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-17 20:38:29

msashe06

Life at Johns Hopkins

Hi everyone. I'm a freshman at Hopkins and I am currently in the middle of my first semester. I like Hopkins. There is a somewhat competitive atmosphere since there are many pre-meds here, but the school is really great. I went to a public magnet high school in Houston, Texas. I'm also the only one from my high school at Hopkins. Some things to say about the college application process: Start early. Get your applications in early. Do your financial aid forms such as FAFSA and CSS Profile early. Take your time with your application essays and please get someone to proofread them. Now more about Johns Hopkins. It's a research university. The Homewood campus, where all of the undergraduates are, is in the heart of Baltimore, Maryland. Baltimore is not a bad city, contrary to what you may have heard. You just have to have common sense. One of the biggest majors here in biomedical engineering. It is also one of the toughest. Biology is also a big major here, as well as public health studies. I, myself, am a public health studies major which is inter-departamental. I aspire to become a cardiologist. Classes at Hopkins are not easy but help is everywhere. There are tutoring sessions every day of the week. The sciences here are very strong, as well as the humanities. If you want to be challenged this is the school for you. If you have any questions about Hopkins, please ask away.

#2 2006-11-04 20:59:26

GoddessJP88

Re: Life at Johns Hopkins

Do you mind telling me more about the city of Baltimore? As in what's it like to live there and all. I actually want to live there and thus want to go to Johns Hopkins. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

#3 2006-11-04 23:24:41

msashe06

Baltimore is a really great city. Depending on what your interests are, there is always something to do. Downtown/Inner Harbor has great shopping and restaurants, and there is also the aquarium. In Towson, there are the mall which is huge and the movies. There are also many shops and restaurants. Students can get to Downtown and Towson via the collegetown shuttle and best of all, it's free. On the weekends, a bus goes to Arundel Mills which is the biggest mall in Maryland. The city of Baltimore has its good areas and its bad areas, just like any other city in the US. Do you have more specific questions about Baltimore or just life at Hopkins in general. I love it at Hopkins. When I'm not studying, I'm either hanging with my friends or at a meeting for an organization. Volunteering is great too and plus it's something to do on the weekends.

#4 2006-12-27 14:55:34

You mentioned the competitive nature of JHop. I really like a competitive atmosphere, however I am concerned about how in some colleges an obsession with competing (and winning) overpowers any interest the students have in learning. Johns Hopkins is one of my first choices, and I plan to go into pre-med, so my question is can you compete and still be friendly?

#5 2007-03-20 14:35:11

msashe06

Most definitely. You can be competitive and friendly. I mean people here help each other out for the most part. There are always study groups in the library and around campus.

#6 2007-06-20 17:46:52

jodi579

Hello. I am very interested in Johns Hopkins because of its strong pre-med program, but I am afraid that the school will fit me but the students will not. How would you describe the atmosphere between the students among each other and the faculty? Is it impersonal even though the class sizes are not that large?

#7 2007-06-21 19:21:19

msashe06

Contrary to what many believe, students at Hopkins are laid-back yet study hard. The atmosphere really depends on what time of year it is. During finals, it is tense since finals weigh so much on our grades. During lacrosse season, school spirit is in the air...we are the national champs lol. Some of the professors are really nice, while some just don't care. You'll encounter that at any school. Oh yeah the cut-throat pre-med stereotype is not in existence. People are friendly, and not as crazy. I got to know all of my first year professors and they were really helpful. Just go to office hours for something other than grades. Talk about your interests and they'll talk about their interests. Good luck!

#8 2007-12-03 21:18:56

Cam99

Hi. I am a junior in high school and I am interested in applying to John Hopkins. I took the SAT Reasoning for the first time in October and my results weren't in the range set for John Hopkins. I do plan on taking it again but I am unsure of how the scores will turn out.  I have high grades, and participate in a lot of activities and volunteering. Would that be enough to balance my low SAT scores?
Also I was wondering if you could briefly summarize how a day at John Hopkins would go by with the itnesity of classes and what not. Thank you for your help!

Board footer