Ventures Scholar Forums

Forums intended to discuss science and math education and all topics related.

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-22 23:56:58

KathySalerno

UCF Student from South Florida and Loving O town- Have any questions?

Hey!  I am Kathy and from Fort Lauderdale, FL.  I went to St. Thomas Aquinas High School.  I am in my 4th year here at the amazing UCF.  Going to school here is probably one of the best decisions I have made.  Unlike a small college town, Orlando has PLENTY to offer. 

Out on the East side where the university is, there is a college town atmosphere, which is great because it is all UCF kids.  You can drive a little bit and have the feel of a big city with the amazing downtown area.  If you want to, drive a little further and you have the theme parks.  Life is never dull.  In fact, I have an annual pass to Universal Studios/ Islands of Adventure - it is a great investment.  (Free parking, no blackout dates, and many discounts).

Because UCF is such a large school and is younger than some other Florida institutions, they are growing at a rapid pace.  I am jealous of the younger students here because they are going to make this campus so amazing with lots to offer.  The gym here is the best gym ever.  It is huge and offers all the amenities of a large chain gym like an LA Fitness or 24 Hour Fitness, etc.  We even have a rock-climbing wall.  I love this school.

Our campus is very up to date on technology.  We have wireless everywhere you go, a Student Government computer lab where we can print free, and we are now a mobile campus.  The mobile campus allows the university to stay in contact with the students via text messages if for example, a class is cancelled and they send you discounts and deals that local businesses offer the students. 

I would love to answer/guide anyone if they need it!  I am here to help you in making a decision that is best for you.

#2 2006-11-19 13:23:02

BRiverA4er

Re: UCF Student from South Florida and Loving O town- Have any questions?

Hey Kathy, I want to first thank you for taking the time to post about UCF, now my question is I'm a senior at Northeast Highschool and I want to know if I should choose UCF over Uf, and why?

#3 2006-11-24 12:18:29

KathySalerno

Re: UCF Student from South Florida and Loving O town- Have any questions?

Well I'm not going to tell you one school is better than the other because that's just an opinion.  I can tell you why I like UCF over UF.  I chose UCF because it's a great school with plenty of opportunity for growth for a few reasons: it's located in a big city, the school is growing and improving continuously, and central Florida is a great location to be in because you're a short drive away from most places in the state.  Alternatively in Gainesville, it's a typical college town.  The city eats, breathes, and sleeps Gator, which is fantastic to have such great school pride, however, I was looking for more than that.  I'm from a big city and I like that there are many different places to go and Intern at in Orlando. 

Because Orlando is a big city, UCF has a lot to offer.  On the East side of Orlando where UCF is located, the area is more centered on the university and the Golden Knights. It has a great feel, like a college town.  Typical college bars/clubs, restaurants, etc.  You can take the highway and be in a huge downtown area with big businesses and clubs/bars.  A little further up the highway you have Universal and City Walk, continue a little more you have outlet shops and Disney.  Orlando has everything you could really want.

UCF also offers many programs and assistance for their students.  I have never been left out in the dark when I needed help.  The teachers at UCF are very willing to help you succeed and very available to meet with if a you would like to talk to them.  Again, I have no experience with the faculty and staff at UF, so I am just describing my interactions.
Overall, they're both state schools.  You have to ask yourself if you would like it more in a smaller city like Gainesville or a big city like Orlando.  Orlando has Disney, Universal Studios, a growing downtown area, and many opportunities outside of the campus. 

I would suggest visiting both campuses so you can make the best decision.

For myself, I didn't want to be in a college town.  I love mix of a college town, big city, and amusement parks that UCF has to offer.

If you have any more questions don’t hesitate to write another post.

Board footer