Ventures Scholar Forums

Forums intended to discuss science and math education and all topics related.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-14 18:59:58

abaez
Administrator

Questions & Sugggestions

As a college graduate, I thought to extend my knowledge of the college experience from getting ready for applications to selecting a graduate school.  Moreover, as a coordinator at VSP, I can give you tips on the best way to use the services or best practice for college enrollment.  Scholars can also share their admissions knowledge on this forum so feel free to ask your questions or leave comments/suggestions!

Good luck in your educational endeavors!
Amy

#2 2009-12-14 21:29:50

MetzBannister

Re: Questions & Sugggestions

Hi Amy,
I'm applying to Yale, Norhwestern, the University of Illinois at Urbana, and the University of Chicago this year, for admission in the fall of 2010. What steps should I take to insure that the admissions officers do not overlook my status as a Ventures Scholar?

Thank you in advance for your time and help,
Chyna

#3 2009-12-15 13:54:06

abaez
Administrator

Hi Chyna,

You definitely want to notify these institutions of your intention to apply for admissions using the inquiry forms.  The fact that you are using the inquiry form will inform the Admissions Officer that you are a Ventures Scholar.  This practice will benefit you since it will bring your application to the Officers attention on receipt.  On occassion, an institution has been known to contact a Ventures Scholar or the VSP offices to request the scholars' certificate in order to provide the applying scholar a missed opportunity (e.g., tuition reduction, scholarship). 

In the inquiry you may also want to ask if they need any extra information from you such as copy of your test scores.  Many institutions prefer to receive the scores directly from the testing agency.  You would want to avoid any delays in your application process.  Be sure to check if there are any scholarships that require separate applications.

Amy

#4 2009-12-15 21:33:46

Chu

Hi Amy!

Is there any other information that we should include in our inquiry forms other than that we are ventures scholars?
What should be the basic format of an inquiry form?

Thank you.
Winnie

#5 2009-12-16 15:09:01

abaez
Administrator

Hi Winnie,

The inquiry form will automatically indicate your Ventures Scholar status.  As a scholar, you should include any information you wish to share with an admissions officer as long as it relates to your education, personality, or application status.  There is no specific format since your inquiry will be added to an email template, which will include your name, email, phone, GPA, scores, and extra curricular activities and is sent directly to the Admissions Officer's email.  Please be aware that the Officers have a great influence on who gets admitted.  In admissions, the inquiry forms are used to evaluate which scholars are enthusiastic to attend their institution, which is very important in terms of retention rate.

Different ways you can use the inquiry form:
- to indicate your interest in the university
- to ask a question about a certain opportunity posted in their profile page
- to request more or specific information, or
- simply to (briefly) introduce yourself and your goals. 

In addition to my previous post, since we are in mid-December scholars who have received an early decision acceptance letter or scholarship award may want to thank them for their acknowledgment and award (make sure to indicate the application status).  Later on in the year you can send another inquiry to the institution you have decided to attend.

~Amy

#6 2010-08-10 15:30:50

Tepede

Hi i was wondering if someone could help me find summer enrichment programs for high school students for the summer of 2011

#7 2010-08-26 19:00:45

admin
Administrator

Howdy Scholar!

Most summer programs are offered in an annual basis.  Also, keep in mind that summer programs are not advertised until December or January.  Check out the links below for summer programs. 

http://www.venturescholar.org/portals/enrichment.php
http://www.usummer.com/summer-programs.html

~Amy

Board footer