do You Pick a College or University?
- Review the characteristics of the "ideal"
college/university that you would like to attend.
- Using this list as a guide, create a list of about
20 colleges/universities that have many of the characteristics
that are important to you. If you are unsure how
to select these colleges/universities, ask the advice
of your guidance counselor, teachers, parents/guardians,
relatives, and friends. You can also search the
colleges and universities by searching the internet,
attending college fairs, and looking at college
- Review the characteristics again and select 5
-10 colleges/universities that have most of the
characteristics that are important to you.
- Research information about these colleges/universities.
We have listed the contact information for all of
the Ventures Scholars Program member institutions
on the Ventures Scholars Program website. Speak
to the admissions representatives and arrange a
meeting to personally meet and speak with them.
Use the campus visit checklist.
Checklist for College/University
- What type of program(s) are you interested in?
Do this college/university offer this program? Is
- Does this college/university have a good reputation
in this particular area? If you have not selected
a major, make sure the college/university can offer
you a range of majors and programs.
- Does this college/university offer the extra-curricular
activities that you are interested in?
- If you are interested in athletic programs, what
does this institution offer?
- If you are affiliated with an ethnic or religious
group, is there a group at the campus or in the
community that you can join?
- If you are interested in a fraternity or sorority,
are they located at this college/university?
- If you are interested in living at a dormitory,
what does it look like?
- If you are interested in living off-campus, what
are the opportunities?
- Are you interested in a single gender or co-educational
- How many students are in a class?
- What is the range of academic majors offered at
- Are you interested in an urban, suburban, or rural
- How far from home is the college/university?
- What type of financial aid packages are offered
at the college/university?
- Are you eligible for scholarships?
- Are there ethnic or religious groups that you
- How diverse is the student population?
- How diverse is the faculty?
Retention and Graduation Rates
- What is the retention rate of the freshmen population?
- How many students remain at the college/university
to complete their education?
- Do they have a career planning center and do they
have a job placement program?